List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: New storage system
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-09-12 17:51:29

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 05:48:15PM +0200, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 12:00:00PM +0200, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> >> And it even works with KPresenter's stupid
> >> long filenames :-))
> >Hmm, actually there's one case where it doesn't work :
> >sometimes (I think when "saving" back into a tar file, not "saving as"), KPresenter
> >prepends "file:" before the name of the files, in the pixmap collection,
> >and this fails to be saved properly in the tar file, of course.
> >(and then you lose your images when reopening the file).
> >
> >The problem is when the pixmap collection takes the document URL as the beginning
> >of the keys. This URL can contain "file:"...
> >A simple ->path() could fix it I think.
>
> Ok, I'm just fixing that.
Thanks.

> >(But I'm not even sure why the document URL has to be there.)
> >Hmm, is it because of a possible embedded kpresenter doc inside the main kpr doc ?
>
> I don't know anymore :-))
Ahah :))

> >We'll have to think about that when doing the generic image collection.
> >(But the tar store SPEC already specifies how it could look like in the tar file)
>
> I know and I'll do that when I improved the whole collection stuff. Although
> I'm not really sure if I can exactly follow proposal, but I'll just change it
> if I need it ;-))
Sure ! The SPEC is just there to give ideas, not an absolute rule.
The easier the better :)
(The SPEC file could even be turned into a documentation of the file format,
 converted in SGML and available for advanced users...)

BTW,
-rw-r--r--   1 dfaure   users     4732015 Sep 10 23:38 prjap.kpr
-rw-r--r--   1 dfaure   users      895208 Sep 11 20:19 kpr_jap.kpr

As you _can't_ see above, prjap.kpr is using the binary store,
and kpr_jap.kpr is using the tar store, and is 6 times smaller.
I forgot to mention this huge advantage of the tar store !

4 MB doesn't fit on a floppy, but 895 K does, so I could have
put my presentation on a floppy instead of burning a CD for it.
(Of course this would have required kpresenter to be installed... :) )

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org