List:       koffice
Subject:    Import question - applix->kword
From:       "William W. Austin" <waustin () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2005-07-08 13:56:57

At the office many of us previously used applix for a fairly large
document library (many reasons - not relevent here), but due to (a) the
fact that it does not work reliably on more modern linux distributions,
and (b) the fact that it won't even start on fedora 3 or the latest rh
releases (not without significant tinkering, anyway...), we didn't
decide to change - we had to.

We are still evaluating and have both koffice (1.3.5) and
openoffice/staroffice as alternatives (we're trying to *avoid* ms
office).

So a couple of questions: I realize that the tables from applix word
documents get rearranged to one cell per line (4x4 table becomes 16
lines, etc.), page headers/footers disappear, and footnotes appear to
be a little "strange" (still working on this one) when imported into
kword from applix word.

(Also when trying to share a doc between koffice and open office, kword
offers to save the doc as an openoffice-1 format doc, ".sxw", but none
of those has been readable by openoffice yet; but since rtf also
exists, that is less of a problem, although formating gets somewhat
hosed again.  But we can live with tht for now...)

Is the importing of the applix docs (word, spreadsheet) improved in the
later release(s) at this time?  Since koffice can handle these, and oo
can't this would make the choice between the two a little easier.

(Aside: we may just have to put up an older machine on something like
redhat8.0 and install applix on it; but currently we don't have the
time or the machine to do that on...)

Thanks,

--
William W. Austin                                 waustin@speakeasy.net
  "Life is just another phase I'm going through. this time, anyway ..."