List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems launching koffice apps
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-09 20:07:34

On Thursday 29 July 2004 19:48, Clifton Franklund wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble with launching Koffice on my computer. I am working
> on my Macintosh 1 Gz G4 Powerbook with 512 Mb SDRAM. Following the
> instructions published in the August 2004 issue of Macworld, I used
> fink to install bundle-KDE and the gimp. Everything went very smoothly
> and all works just fine (except for the koffice apps). When I try to
> launch kword (or kspread or any other office app) the app appears in
> the kicker and seems to try to launch. After about 20s though, the
> launch quietly fails and the icon in the kicker disappears. If I launch
> kword from konsole I see:
>
> QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
> kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from
> /private/var/tmp/kdecache-cliftonfranklund/ksycoca
> kio (KTrader): KServiceTypeProfile::offers( KOfficePart, )
> kio (KTrader): Returning 10 offers
>
> Then nothing happens.

Could be an undefined symbol in the koffice component (I just found out that if this
happens, the application exits without warning). I could provide a patch that adds
a warning when this happens, but you'd need to recompile koffice to test it....
Anyway - sounds like a fink problem, you might want to ask on the fink users list,
http://fink.sourceforge.net/lists/fink-users.php