List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems launching koffice apps
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-07-29 21:08:59

On Thursday 29 July 2004 19:48, Clifton Franklund wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble with launching Koffice on my computer. I am working
> on my Macintosh 1 Gz G4 Powerbook with 512 Mb SDRAM. Following the
> instructions published in the August 2004 issue of Macworld, I used
> fink to install bundle-KDE and the gimp. Everything went very smoothly
> and all works just fine (except for the koffice apps). When I try to
> launch kword (or kspread or any other office app) the app appears in
> the kicker and seems to try to launch. After about 20s though, the
> launch quietly fails and the icon in the kicker disappears. If I launch
> kword from konsole I see:
>
> QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
> kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from
> /private/var/tmp/kdecache-cliftonfranklund/ksycoca
> kio (KTrader): KServiceTypeProfile::offers( KOfficePart, )
> kio (KTrader): Returning 10 offers
>
> Then nothing happens. When I use finkCommander to look at my installed
> packages I see that I have the most current version of koffice (1.3-23)
> but have an outdated version of bundle KDE (3.2.2-21). Could this be
> the source of my problems? I have tried - unsuccessfully - to update my
> version of bundle KDE. Perhaps I have missed some configuration setting
> to get koffice to work?
>
> I have fiddled with this for long enough on my own. Any help or
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

search for "MimeType".

In short, the problem is to look for a kword.desktop or similar in ~/.kde and
~/.local and check if it contradicts the general .desktop file for KWord. (If
a such file exits, moving it away and testing is mostly the best solution.)

There is also the script: tools/scripts/check_koffice_install.sh
that may help you. (You can use WebCVS to get only this file:
http://webcvs.kde.org )

KOffice 1.3.1 fixed the biggest problem but as far as I understand you have
unfortunately only KOffice 1.3.

Otherwise as Fink is not directly supported by KOffice yet, you might look
also at Fink resources, if you would get more information there. (I am not
sure.)

Have a nice day!