List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Default text oriented templates
From:       "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2004-02-15 18:43:08

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 18:20:55 PM +0100, Nicolas Goutte (nicolasg@snafu.de) wrote:

> Well, I suppose that the best would be a tab for ISO formats (A4,
> A5...) and one for American formats (Letter...). The problem is that
> we do not have templates for many American formats (no enveloppe, no
> 2 columns etc.)

Ok, but this should be evident, or recovering from confusion may be
more upsetting than realinzing there are little templates (still
thinking to the first impact on the novice  user).

> So perhaps once KWord will be switched to OOWriter/OASIS format, it
> would be time to look at what template we should offer. (However
> volunteers to create templates seem as rare as developers.)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but:

OK, switching to OASIS will make the problem disappear, but, even now,
with Kword already using an XML, OASIS-alike format (if I understand
correctly), shouldn't it be easy to just grab all existing OOo
templates, run them through some Perl/whatever script, and make
KOffice versions?

If I'm right and it doesn't require many extra libraries, or complete
knowledge of the format internals, maybe I can help with this.
Do we have two equivalent OOo/Kword templates to start from?
What do you think?

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Live for the present, dream of the the future, learn from the past.