List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-10-26 20:22:26

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> If for you having the right resolution is more important than to have the real
> size, you can pre-process the print file by scaling 72/75 (or is it 75/72.)

No, there is real problem which would require that since resolutions of
75*N can be represented in points using 2 decimal places (1200 DPI is 0.03
points so that is the highest [actually it is best to have a grid twice the
resolution of the printer or be able to use units of 1/2 the grid so this
isn't completely satisfactory for 1200 DPI but you can limit yourself to
lines that are 2*N pixels wide at that resolution).

The issue is of convenience in being able to use a user specified grid to
layout something using integers rather than having to use decimal fractions
of points requiring a calculator or a spread sheet.

<SNIP>

> As for Ghostscript, well, the version I use (7.05) tells that the generic
> printer driver still have known rasterising problems. So I do not know your
> version and I do not know if it was correct or not. (I also do not know if it
> is applies to the GImp drivers working for Ghostscript.)

I use the current version of GhostScript 8.11 which will not work with
CUPS.  Yes GimpPrint and IJS are improvements over some of the older
drivers.  However, I believe that The GIMP has more sophisticated raster,
antialiasing, and interpolation algorithms than some GhostScript devices,
so it is a consideration that it might be better in some cases for the
application to produce a bitmap for printing rather than using the RIP to
do it.  And with a printer with built in PostScript, it may be much faster
to have the application do this and send the printer a bitmap.  OTOH, if
you wish to make a generic PS file, you would want to include the original
images at the original resolution.  Both options should be available.

> Perhaps it would be helpful if you could tell which printer you have so that
> we can help you to get a better quality out of it. (You do not have access to
> a Xerox DC 70, that is for sure. But 600dpi covers a wide range of printers,
> even if limited to Laser, B/W, A4 or Letter, PCL-driven.)

Since this is about what users will generally use, lets just let it be a
generic PCL 600 DPI laser printer.  Or, perhaps that isn't relevant since
if I buy a new machine it would probably be 1200 DPI.

> If you are using CUPS, you could check in KDE what parameters are passed.
> Check especially if you are really printing in 600dpi or if your printer has
> finer modes.

No, I use LPR and I am certain that it is passing the correct resolution to
the printer driver ( -r600 ).

--
JRT