List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon being DPI based (was karbon)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () microweb ! nl>
Date:       2003-10-26 20:23:29

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:52:09PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
..
> The only insult is that of the 'arrogant developer' that says they don't
> want to include features which the user would find convenient because they
> know better.
>
> So, you stated that I should ask a direct question and it is:
>
> Why if I choose to layout my work on a grid is it more convenient for me to
> have to work in units of 0.06 point and have to use KCalc or a spread sheet
> to figure it out than to be able to use my user selected grid and deal with
> integers?

To clear up some of that frustration (which I can understand) is that in all my
years of working with feature requests coming from salesmen and end-users I
found that they rarely attack a problem; they mostly attack symtoms.

I got feature requests that users wanted a plugin for Word to state an address
next to the image they had there.
The solution was that they should not use Word to copy a file from a floppy
to the network drive. :-)

I got a feature request asking for an email to be sent to a manager each time
an order had been done.
When we asked why they said that too many times the order was done without
them adding a certain component (text in this case).  So we changed the text
to be obligatory.

While these are just 2 examples from the top of my head; I hope you can
understand that my first instinct is to find out what is behind your request.
So we can attack the real problem at hand and in the end make it easier for
you; probably even easier then you guessed would be possible.

> I am quite aware of the artifacts of converting vector graphics to a pixel
> based raster image.  If you doubt this, then please print a 125 Line per
> inch resolution target at 600 DPI (1 bit per pixel) and observe the
> artifacts.

So; taking a 500 pixels black/white image and printing that to a 600dpi
b/w laser printer making the image 4 inch wide is what you ask; right?
I'll try that.

--
Thomas Zander