List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-26 16:50:18

If for you having the right resolution is more important than to have the real
size, you can pre-process the print file by scaling 72/75 (or is it 75/72.)

CUPS has pre-process and post-process filters, I am quite sure that there is a
Postscript manipulating tool that scales the PS file. (You will have to find
out if you need it always or only for certain application/document/etc. So
perhaps you would need two printer queues or however you do it correctly in
CUPS.) Non-CUPS should be possible too, perhaps more complex to put in use.

However for most people it is the size that matters. So an inch should remain
an inch and not 72/75 of it. That is why it is the job of the RIP.

As for Ghostscript, well, the version I use (7.05) tells that the generic
printer driver still have known rasterising problems. So I do not know your
version and I do not know if it was correct or not. (I also do not know if it
is applies to the GImp drivers working for Ghostscript.)

Perhaps it would be helpful if you could tell which printer you have so that
we can help you to get a better quality out of it. (You do not have access to
a Xerox DC 70, that is for sure. But 600dpi covers a wide range of printers,
even if limited to Laser, B/W, A4 or Letter, PCL-driven.)

If you are using CUPS, you could check in KDE what parameters are passed.
Check especially if you are really printing in 600dpi or if your printer has
finer modes.

Have a nice day!