List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Still struggling to compile Koffice
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-26 13:41:15

On Sunday 26 October 2003 12:58, Mansteen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a suse 8.2 distro and I try to compile
> my own version of koffice.
>
> This is what I have done so far :
>
> -update of the distribution using the packages on the
> suse website so that I have qt 3.2 and KDE 3.1.4
>
> -remove the koffice installation from
> the opt/kde3 prefix
>
> -compilation of the koffice 1.3 beta 4; I tried to
> compile one of the snapshots first, but that didn't
> work; to avoid unknown problems I figured that it would
> be wiser to try with the beta first...
>
> -there were some minor problems that i could solve
> by updating the libxml2 and libxslt packages (again
> by using the update on the suse website)
>
> - I configured with --prefix=/home/march/usr;
> configure was ok, expcept for a warning regarding
> the kword Word filter for which I seem to be missing
> the source (message says download from sourceforge?)

First try to make it work without. When you will have a working KOffice, you
can worry about this one.

> - compilation and install went OK! Wow!
>
> - I adapted /home/march/kderc by adding :
>    [Directories]
>    prefixes=/home/march/usr
>   and (to be on the safe side) I modified etc/kde3rc
>   which now has
>    [Directories]
>    prefixes=/etc/opt/kde3/:/home/march/usr
>
> - I restarted my computer because I could not run
>   kbuildsycoca (?). At the launch of KDE my system
>   seemed to be spending a lot more time than usual..

The delay is KDE running building again its sycoca data.

> - I cannot run any of the koffice applications :
>   clicking the application in konqueror gives a
>   "Couldn't find the program 'name_of_the_application' " error
>   launching from a console gives a
>   "koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find
>   the native MimeType in name_of_the_application's desktop file.
>   Check your installation !"

There is the script koffice/tools/script/check_koffice_install.sh

It is also possible that your menu still tries to find something in /opt/kde3

> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Here are the revelant environment variables that I set for using KDE 3.1 and
KOffice CVS HEAD (changed to your paths)

export KDEDIR=/opt/kde3
export KDEDIRS=/home/march/usr
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/march/usr/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib

Please note: the double definition of KDEDIR and KDEDIRS is probably a hack
(but it was the only way to make it work when I made my script.)

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH definition could be also *replaced* by adding
/home/march/usr/lib
to the file
/etc/ld.so.conf
(As you have only one KDE version, it should work. I cannot do this, as I am
working between versions.)

> Marc

Have a nice day!

> P.S. koscript and koshell seem to be working...
>
> What should I do?

Have a nice day!