List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice Consistency
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-05-29 9:05:46

Hello Ben,

On Monday 26 May 2003 21:11, Ben Lamb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at the KOffice apps and where IMHO the UI could be
> improved. There are some minor areas where it is ever so slightly
> inconsistent between apps which I'd like to fix.

Every help is welcome.

> For example: Vivio lets you adjust the size of the tab bar Vs the
> horizontal scrollbar, KSpread doesn't.
>
> I'm trying to fix this myself by creating a QSplitter and adding the
> KSpreadTabBar to it. These are created in the KSpreadView constructor in
> kspread_view.cc. However, I cannot discover where these objects are
> added to the parent container, please could someone give me a pointer?

I don't know what you mean with "added to the parent container". Just describe
a bit more what you need to do and then I'm certainly willing to help.
Maybe you find what you search for in KSpreadView::refreshView(), where the
geometry is set and the widget is shown.

> Second thing I want to fix:
> Undo/redo drop-down menus on the toolbar and a descriptive undo/redo
> option on the menu. This has recently been added to KWord, is anyone
> working on adding it to KSpread. If not, does anyone mind if I have a go?
>
> I've looked at the KWord code and see there is some shared KOffice UI
> code in kocommandhistory.cc that I can use.

In KSpread we don't use the kocommandhistory class yet, we use our own
implementation with the class KSpreadUndo. But this is rather a historic
reason. So if you like to port it over to KoCommandHistory just go ahead.

> Item 3: Both Kivio and KSpread have a tabbar with similiar code, is this
> something that could go into KOffice UI?

I don't know. Maybe yes. OTOH there will be a new class in QT/KDE 3.2 for tab
drawing. So when we will support kdelibs 3.2, then it may make more sence to
use the new available support. But I haven't looked into the new tab code of
QT and don't know if it can be used.

I would be good if you subscribe to the koffice-devel mailing list, as this is
the list to discuss developing issues.

I hope you know that we are near to the feature and string freeze.

If you need any further help, just let me/us know.

Philipp