List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Jaymz Julian <jaymz () dspaudio ! com>
Date:       2002-11-05 6:19:20

On 4 Nov 2002, Julien Olivier wrote:

> Hi
>
> I really think you can't say Koffice is EXCELLENT. If we forget the
> filters problem for koffice and the slow start problem of OOO,
> OpenOffice is still better than koffice in terms of features. Of course
> I know OOO has more developers than koffice and staroffice is older than
> koffice. But that's a fact that OpenOffice is a better office
> application for advanced office work. And when I say advanced, I only
> mean creating a diagram or adding some graphical effects to your text. I
> also admit that for simple office work (writing a simple text and
> printing it, or creating a simple spreadsheet), koffice is great.

I can say that koffice is excellent!  I disgree that koffice has less
features, it just has *different* ones - the frame paradigm of koffice is
actully a lot more useful for what many, many users want to do (yes, I am
exposed to "normal" users, btw - i work deploying koffice to
them.  please don't accuse me of being isolated from them without first
familiarising yourself with me.)

There are features which I agree koffice needs (revision control being the
big one on my list, as I can't see it anywhere, but I won't have time to
look at the problem of implenting it for a while), but for many home
users, and many business users (not all, obnviously), the featureset of
koffice is actully more useful than the feature set of oo.org.  and I have
the users to prove it ;)

	-- jj