List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-11-05 1:32:08

On Monday 04 November 2002 4:48 pm, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2002 14:17, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  KO is a more modern project. The goal is not to clone MsOffice but to
> | create something if possible better. We are also well integrated in KDE.
> | Tomorrow, this integration could bear even more fruits : like a common
> | collaboration framework for KDE, combination of PIM tools and Koffice,
> | scripting environment, database plugins to connect KSpread and the
> | mainframe ERP, a document centric interface to be invented...
>
> I doo not think that KOffice brings up some radical things.

As Charles says though, the possibilities are there and those possibilities
are endless. KDE and KOffice have some excellent architectural qualities, way
ahead of any other current desktop environment, IMHO.

> I think current KOffice already has some features which IBM (yes, IBM!),
> Microsoft and Apple were promising 12 years ago (1990), and which are not
> here yet.  Taligent came to nowhere.

Cool, someone else who remembers Taligent! :-)
Taligent and OpenDoc were ahead of their time. KDE has finally made good on
much of what those two promised. The reasons OpenDoc never got accepted were
far more to do with internal politics than architectural flaws. Taligent's
downfall was the arrival of Java and IBM's mistaken belief that it would wipe
out windoze.

> Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) works very bad in Windows, and promised
> cross-platform capability has been never delivered (Software AG was working
> on UNIX port for OLE/DDE, but never delivered it)

OLE was/is crapware, but when you've got a virtual desktop monolopy, people
have to use whatever you give them! (Unless someone creates a superior
alternative, like KDE :-)
Software AG did actually produce the Unix port. One of my old companies tried
it. The port was very compatible. They ported crap from windoze and created
crap on Unix ;-)

Hmm, perhaps this thread has strayed a tad OT now :-)

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn