List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Julien Olivier <julo () altern ! org>
Date:       2002-11-05 9:01:26

Le mar 05/11/2002 à 07:19, Jaymz Julian a écrit :

> On 4 Nov 2002, Julien Olivier wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I really think you can't say Koffice is EXCELLENT. If we forget the
> > filters problem for koffice and the slow start problem of OOO,
> > OpenOffice is still better than koffice in terms of features. Of course
> > I know OOO has more developers than koffice and staroffice is older than
> > koffice. But that's a fact that OpenOffice is a better office
> > application for advanced office work. And when I say advanced, I only
> > mean creating a diagram or adding some graphical effects to your text. I
> > also admit that for simple office work (writing a simple text and
> > printing it, or creating a simple spreadsheet), koffice is great.
>
> I can say that koffice is excellent!  I disgree that koffice has less
> features, it just has *different* ones - the frame paradigm of koffice is
> actully a lot more useful for what many, many users want to do (yes, I am
> exposed to "normal" users, btw - i work deploying koffice to
> them.  please don't accuse me of being isolated from them without first
> familiarising yourself with me.)
>
> There are features which I agree koffice needs (revision control being the
> big one on my list, as I can't see it anywhere, but I won't have time to
> look at the problem of implenting it for a while), but for many home
> users, and many business users (not all, obnviously), the featureset of
> koffice is actully more useful than the feature set of oo.org.  and I have
> the users to prove it ;)

Maybe I'm just stupid but I personally had a problem trying to make a
diagram using Koffice. I looked for a way to make a simple drawing with
colored and shadowed squares, linked by nice arrows and a title on top.
I tried kivio but it was so buggy that i couldn't even change the font
size in the square and could add a title. In karbon, I couldn't write at
all. In kword, I could get frames to be shadowed. I admit that I have
just tried a few hours. Then, I launched OOO, waited a few hours (:))
for it to open and, in 15 minutes, I had created my diagram with all the
stuff I wanted in it. Everything just worked.

I don't say tha koffice is not good, I just say that it still lacks some
features that CAN be showstoppers in some situations.

PS: if there was a way to do that in koffice, I'm currious to know how.

Thanks.