List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       rwlbuis () xs4all ! nl
Date:       2002-11-04 13:10:36

Hi,

> On Monday 04 November 2002 14:02, Charles de Miramon wrote:
>> > Still of course this might be matter of taste... I wonder what are
>> other
>> > people opinions.
>> >
>> I agree with David, MsWord graphics work very badly. KWord approach is
>> better.
>> KOffice is a collection of tools each one tailored for a specific use
>> that
>> should work well together, there is no need to duplicate functionalities
>> in
>> different applications
>
> Sure but if people really want "native" drawing objects in KWord, like
> kpresenter
> sort of has already, we could have a common lib for that (iirc this was
> the idea
> behind kopainter? I guess a more recent version of this would be karbon's
> libs)

Well kopainter and vkopainter (in karbon's libs) were done independently,
but have about the same goals. IMHO the datastructures for representing
shapes/paths/lines are quite mature, easy and suited to this task, so if
we want "native" drawing this is the way to go...

> But most of the reasons given by Piotr are things that could be fixed,
> even with
> embedded objects, IMHO...

I personally find the current embedding and editing and ui switches a bit
"heavy", clumsy and non-intuitive, but at least it works.
Cheers,

Rob.