List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kfrontpage?
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-10-02 21:55:12

On Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2002 19:28, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 October 2002 3:13 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> |  On Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2002 10:00, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  > Re [1] - it really depends on quality of your CSS, and on HTML/CSS
> |  > export filter.
> |  > you can place all paragraphs, images, frames, etc. using *absolute
> |  > positioning* only (position: absolute), calculating positions using
> |  > default paper size. In this case, you will preserve all *original
> |  > formatting* from KWord document in such HTML page.
> |
> |  Well, there is always the old problem: how can you make flow the text
> | around such an absolute positioned box/frame? KWord can do it, (X)HTML+
> | CSS 2 cannot as far as I know. (I have no idea if CSS3 could help here.)
>
> Text can float around 'float' block.
> I think 'float' was designe dexactly for that purpose :-)

I have tested it again. It does not work.

In the CSS2 specification, I have found section 9.6, where it is told that
absolute positioned box might hide the content of other boxes. That is
exactly what is happening.

> |  > BTW: that's approach used by Adobe InDesign and Quark.
> |  >
> |  > Another good aproach (read: another checkmark in HTML export filter)
> |  > is to use CSS3 "as is", even while it not reached final specification
> |  > at W3C. In particular, you can use "inline-block" from CSS3 to format
> |  > columns, or even multi-column layout module from CSS3.
> |  > "inline-block" is supported by MS IE6 aand IE 5.x for Macintosh.
> |
> |  Well, if Konqueror/KHTML cannot do it, it is not much a priority, as it
> | means that neither Konqueror will be able to display it nor KWord will be
> | able to import it.
>
> I hope we export HTML (from KWord) *not only* for Konqueror?

No, not only for Konqueror. However, Konqueror remains the reference for what
should go first into the filter.

Sure there are already exceptions: shadow and line height. I had implemented
shadow before checking that Konqueror could do it and as for line height, the
code comes from KWord's AbiWord export filter.

> Mozilla has hack which allows to use -moz-inline-block, or something like
> that.
> AFAIK Opera7 will support 'inline-block', too.
>
> In fact, I was speaking about *possible options*, not about *one unified
> HTML/CSS format*

> I can imagine that total number of diufferent HTML/CSS models should be
> 10-12 (in HTML Export dialog box), depending on media and model you target.
> Think about presentation media, PDA, overhead projector, mobile phone, etc.

Well, I am not sure if it is the way to go. Users have already problems with
all the options of the current HTML export filter dialog. However, it is also
much too early to really decide about such things.