List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kfrontpage?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-02 17:28:02

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 3:13 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
|  On Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2002 10:00, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  >
|  > Re [1] - it really depends on quality of your CSS, and on HTML/CSS
|  > export filter.
|  > you can place all paragraphs, images, frames, etc. using *absolute
|  > positioning* only (position: absolute), calculating positions using
|  > default paper size. In this case, you will preserve all *original
|  > formatting* from KWord document in such HTML page.
|
|  Well, there is always the old problem: how can you make flow the text
| around such an absolute positioned box/frame? KWord can do it, (X)HTML+ CSS
| 2 cannot as far as I know. (I have no idea if CSS3 could help here.)

Text can float around 'float' block.
I think 'float' was designe dexactly for that purpose :-)

|  > BTW: that's approach used by Adobe InDesign and Quark.
|  >
|  > Another good aproach (read: another checkmark in HTML export filter) is
|  > to use CSS3 "as is", even while it not reached final specification at
|  > W3C. In particular, you can use "inline-block" from CSS3 to format
|  > columns, or even multi-column layout module from CSS3.
|  > "inline-block" is supported by MS IE6 aand IE 5.x for Macintosh.
|
|  Well, if Konqueror/KHTML cannot do it, it is not much a priority, as it
| means that neither Konqueror will be able to display it nor KWord will be
| able to import it.

I hope we export HTML (from KWord) *not only* for Konqueror?
Mozilla has hack which allows to use -moz-inline-block, or something like
that.
AFAIK Opera7 will support 'inline-block', too.

In fact, I was speaking about *possible options*, not about *one unified
HTML/CSS format*
I can imagine that total number of diufferent HTML/CSS models should be 10-12
(in HTML Export dialog box), depending on media and model you target.
Think about presentation media, PDA, overhead projector, mobile phone, etc.

|  > Best Regards,
|
|  Have a nice day/evening/night!

Cheers,
--