List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail and Maildir
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-14 21:12:01

On Monday 14 May 2001 22:28, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> I've been working off-and-on (more off than on) for the past couple of
> weeks on putting native Maildir support into KMail.  It's proved to be
> a little more problematic than I thought it would be due to KMail
> making a *LOT* of assumptions about a "folder" being mbox style... but
> I think I'm finally making some progress.
>
> What I did was abstract KMFolder out a bit.  I tried to remove all
> mailbox-type specific code into pure virtual functions.  I then moved
> the mbox ("local"), imap, and maildir code into derived classes.
>
> At this point, I have pre-alpha maildir support working.  That is,
> KMail will recognize if a mailbox is mbox or maildir and automatically
> pick the right derived KMFolder and by the end of the day, you should
> be able to create either a mbox or maildir directory.  I can also
> *read* the messages in a maildir folder... but very little else works
> (no deleting, moveing, changing status, threading, etc).
>
> Since this will soon be at the stage of usefullness, I'm wondering how
> to proceed.  I could continue hacking as is until is *is* useful and
> then bring it up again.  Or I could create a KMAIL_MAILDIR branch for
> anybody else that wants to hack on it.
>
> Or something else (temporary fork?).  I'm open to suggestions.
> Anybody else interested?
Problem is Don and Sam are currently working on changing the mbox
way from what I've heard quite drastic. I would say create a branch with
_that_ changes and then apply yours to it. As they worked a lot on speeding
up things I could imagine they added even more assumptions :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.