List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    KMail and Maildir
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-14 20:28:48

I've been working off-and-on (more off than on) for the past couple of
weeks on putting native Maildir support into KMail.  It's proved to be
a little more problematic than I thought it would be due to KMail
making a *LOT* of assumptions about a "folder" being mbox style... but
I think I'm finally making some progress.

What I did was abstract KMFolder out a bit.  I tried to remove all
mailbox-type specific code into pure virtual functions.  I then moved
the mbox ("local"), imap, and maildir code into derived classes.

At this point, I have pre-alpha maildir support working.  That is,
KMail will recognize if a mailbox is mbox or maildir and automatically
pick the right derived KMFolder and by the end of the day, you should
be able to create either a mbox or maildir directory.  I can also
*read* the messages in a maildir folder... but very little else works
(no deleting, moveing, changing status, threading, etc).

Since this will soon be at the stage of usefullness, I'm wondering how
to proceed.  I could continue hacking as is until is *is* useful and
then bring it up again.  Or I could create a KMAIL_MAILDIR branch for
anybody else that wants to hack on it.

Or something else (temporary fork?).  I'm open to suggestions.
Anybody else interested?
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop