List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: language detection
From:       Tomasz Grobelny <tomasz () grobelny ! oswiecenia ! net>
Date:       2005-08-20 0:25:27

On Saturday 20 August 2005 01:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 19 August 2005 13:02, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > I thought of adding language detection to KMail. It could be used
> > when you reply to somebody's mail to put "On %d you wrote:" phrase in
> > appropriate language. And that works fine on my desktop. Additionally
> > it should change signature and dictionary. And maybe other things
> > which we together call identity. In that case usability questions
> > come to mind:
> > 1. Why are phrases not part of identities?
>
> In no particular order:
> - for historical reasons
> - because identities are already overloaded enough with settings
> - there's no clear connection between identities and reply phrases

The connection is at least as clear as between identity and signature (can be
formal or informal, in English or Polish in my case).

> A possible solution (although it's probably not so good usability-wise):
> - the user can add multiple sets of phrases, each set can consist of
> phrases in multiple languages
Why in one set there should be phrases in multiple languages? What will
phrases in one set have in common?

> - the user associates an identity with one set of phrases
> - KMail automagically chooses the phrases in the correct language from
> the set of phrases associated to the current identity
>
> This solution is flexible because it allows multiple sets of phrases,
> e.g. one set with formal phrases and one set with informal phrases.
> OTOH, this solution is convenient because it automatically chooses the
> correct language for the phrases.
>
> Adding phrases directly to the identities won't happen.

Originally I thought about doing it the same way it is done with transport: if
I choose identity A then use set of phrases B (where by set of phrases I mean
4 phases in one language: reply to author, reply all, etc.).

> > 2. How should information on language be put into identity?
> > Note that language detection is just one example that I can
> > theoretically implement in a few days, but from usability standpoint
> > it should work well even if one day we will be able to tell if the
> > e-mail we are replying is formal or informal, kind or rude, or
> > whatever.
>
> See above. There's no reason to associate identities with just one
> particular language. In fact, I'd like to get rid of the dictionary
> setting for identities. Just like the language for the reply phrases
> the correct dictionary should be chosen automagically. There would just
So the idea is to break up identity into two parts: language specific and
language independent?
--
Regards,
Tomasz Grobelny