List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Some ideas regarding language detection (was: Re: language detection)
From:       dAniel hAhler <kmail-devel () thequod ! de>
Date:       2005-08-20 0:46:01

On Saturday 20 August 2005 02:25, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:

> > See above. There's no reason to associate identities with just one
> > particular language. In fact, I'd like to get rid of the dictionary
> > setting for identities. Just like the language for the reply phrases
> > the correct dictionary should be chosen automagically. There would just
>
> So the idea is to break up identity into two parts: language specific and
> language independent?

I've not followed the whole discussion and am far away from being a KMail
power user yet, but have two cents:

I was using The Bat! under win32 before and it has a quite powerful template
language. Once somebody even added Python support for it (through a TB
plugin).

This way I had a main template, that detected if it was for a new message,
replying or forwarding. Because I've used POPFile to classify my mails (also
in German/English buckets) I could use that value to select the language for
the header and footer text snippets. If the original mail was not classified
or I was writing a new mail (or forwarding) I've used quite simple top level
domain matching for it (plus a [white]list of addresses).
And because the intro and signature came from a subtemplate, it was quite easy
to change them on the fly when you've already written parts of your answer
for example; just select the wrong text, type the name of the macro (which
was marked as quicktemplate), press the expand-quicktemplate hotkey and you
were done.

I'm not sure, if that really helps, but it hopefully helps to have some fresh
ideas.. :)

Thank you for a great mailing agent!