List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: language detection
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-19 23:15:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 19 August 2005 13:02, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> I thought of adding language detection to KMail. It could be used
> when you reply to somebody's mail to put "On %d you wrote:" phrase in
> appropriate language. And that works fine on my desktop. Additionally
> it should change signature and dictionary. And maybe other things
> which we together call identity. In that case usability questions
> come to mind:
> 1. Why are phrases not part of identities?

In no particular order:
- for historical reasons
- because identities are already overloaded enough with settings
- there's no clear connection between identities and reply phrases

A possible solution (although it's probably not so good usability-wise):
- the user can add multiple sets of phrases, each set can consist of
phrases in multiple languages
- the user associates an identity with one set of phrases
- KMail automagically chooses the phrases in the correct language from
the set of phrases associated to the current identity

This solution is flexible because it allows multiple sets of phrases,
e.g. one set with formal phrases and one set with informal phrases.
OTOH, this solution is convenient because it automatically chooses the
correct language for the phrases.

Adding phrases directly to the identities won't happen.

> 2. How should information on language be put into identity?
> Note that language detection is just one example that I can
> theoretically implement in a few days, but from usability standpoint
> it should work well even if one day we will be able to tell if the
> e-mail we are replying is formal or informal, kind or rude, or
> whatever.

See above. There's no reason to associate identities with just one
particular language. In fact, I'd like to get rid of the dictionary
setting for identities. Just like the language for the reply phrases
the correct dictionary should be chosen automagically. There would just
have to be a KDE or even system wide way to associate languages with a
default dictionary. This is necessary because for several languages
more than one dictionary exists, e.g. American English vs. British
English or German (new spelling) vs. German (old spelling).

Regards,
Ingo