List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: language detection
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-20 13:00:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 20 August 2005 02:25, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> On Saturday 20 August 2005 01:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Friday 19 August 2005 13:02, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > > I thought of adding language detection to KMail. It could be used
> > > when you reply to somebody's mail to put "On %d you wrote:"
> > > phrase in appropriate language. And that works fine on my
> > > desktop. Additionally it should change signature and dictionary.
> > > And maybe other things which we together call identity. In that
> > > case usability questions come to mind:
> > > 1. Why are phrases not part of identities?
> >
> > In no particular order:
> > - for historical reasons
> > - because identities are already overloaded enough with settings
> > - there's no clear connection between identities and reply phrases
>
> The connection is at least as clear as between identity and signature
> (can be formal or informal, in English or Polish in my case).
>
> > A possible solution (although it's probably not so good
> > usability-wise): - the user can add multiple sets of phrases, each
> > set can consist of phrases in multiple languages
>
> Why in one set there should be phrases in multiple languages? What
> will phrases in one set have in common?

As I wrote a bit further down one set would include formal phrases ("On
15/08/2005 David Brown wrote:") in several languages and another set
would include informal phrases ("On Monday, 15 August 2005 my beloved
friend known as David has written the following:") in several
languages.

This would make it much easier for people using multiple languages. They
would just have to create two identities, a Work identity and a Friends
identity.

If we tied an identity to a specific language then the same user will
have to create two identities per language, i.e., Work (English), Work
(German), Friends (English), Friends (German).

> > - the user associates an identity with one set of phrases
> > - KMail automagically chooses the phrases in the correct language
> > from the set of phrases associated to the current identity
> >
> > This solution is flexible because it allows multiple sets of
> > phrases, e.g. one set with formal phrases and one set with informal
> > phrases. OTOH, this solution is convenient because it automatically
> > chooses the correct language for the phrases.
> >
> > Adding phrases directly to the identities won't happen.
>
> Originally I thought about doing it the same way it is done with
> transport: if I choose identity A then use set of phrases B (where by
> set of phrases I mean 4 phases in one language: reply to author,

I know, but I won't accept such a solution.

> > > 2. How should information on language be put into identity?
> > > Note that language detection is just one example that I can
> > > theoretically implement in a few days, but from usability
> > > standpoint it should work well even if one day we will be able to
> > > tell if the e-mail we are replying is formal or informal, kind or
> > > rude, or whatever.
> >
> > See above. There's no reason to associate identities with just one
> > particular language. In fact, I'd like to get rid of the dictionary
> > setting for identities. Just like the language for the reply
> > phrases the correct dictionary should be chosen automagically.
> > There would just
>
> So the idea is to break up identity into two parts: language specific
> and language independent?

Well, identities should be language independent. The language specific
options (language of phrases, dictionary, etc.) should be chosen
automatically based on the detected language. Of course, it might still
make sense to specify a default language for an identity so that it
also works if language detection isn't possible for some reason.

Regards,
Ingo