List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: IMAP subfolder
From:       Carsten Burghardt <cb () magic-shop ! de>
Date:       2003-02-27 12:28:11

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 15:20, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 14:56, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 February 2003 14:33, Didier Poirot wrote:>
> >
> > >  This warning raises some questions:
> > >
> > > 1. What about kroupware and kde directions ? Is there any 'roadmap'
> > > to integrate in the 'std' kde the kroupware enhancements ?
> >
> > Most of the kroupware stuff is already in kde HEAD. There you have
> > parallel support for both online and offline imap but the kroupware
> > release is probably more stable regarding the offline mode.
>
> No, it should be the same.

Oh, ok, then I need to check the DISCONNECTED (;-))) stuff in HEAD again.

> > > 2. What do I need to do to get access to all my IMAP folders if I
> > > switch to kroupware ?
> >
> > If you just want to use your imap folders (in offline-mode, online is
> > disabled there) you don't need something special. If you want to use
> > the kroupware funtionality you need the kroupware server (kolab).
>
> 1: Offline mode is like pop3: You download something and it's deleted from
> the server. That isn't available in any IMAP implementation in KMail. The
> one in HEAD and kroupware branch is Disconnected IMAP. (Yes, I know, I'm
> nitpicking here.)

Yes, you're nitpicking, especially because most commercial products (e.g.
Notes) don't differentiate between this. They have imap with a disconnected
mode that is active when you're offline. But ok, I'll try....

> 2) The groupware functionality works with any IMAP server, but Kolab also
> gives you Sieve, LDAP, integrated web administration, shared folders etc.
> So you don't really *need* a Kolab server - it will work on your existing
> IMAP server. But it might be a good idea to consider one.
>
> > > 3. Do I need to do a full backup of all my IMAP folders before
> > > switching to kroupware to be able to go back to kmail in case of
> > > problem ?
> >
> > A backup is always recommended. But the kroupware version won't mix up
> > your imap server so you can of course switch back.
>
> Real men don't back up anything. They sweat when it goes bad.

:-)

--
Dipl.-Inf. Carsten Burghardt
PGP: http://www.magic-shop.de/Carsten_Burghardt.asc