List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: IMAP subfolder
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-27 23:23:29

On Thursday 27 February 2003 13:28, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, you're nitpicking,

No, he's not....

> especially because most commercial products
> (e.g. Notes) don't differentiate between this. They have imap with a
> disconnected mode that is active when you're offline.
<snip>

What marketing says and what gets presented to the users doesn't matter.
What matters is that developers use the correct terms unless they don't
want to understand each other. There's a difference (and a most
significant one, too) between offline IMAP and disconnected IMAP.
Whether we name the UI elements after the technical terms is another
matter.

Another example is "pipelining" in IMAP. Actually, the RFC isn't clear
whether IMAP supports pipelining (ie. sending more than one command in
a single TCP packet) or "just" multiple unfinished commands in flight.
The first one reduces server roundtrips, the latter not, which can get
really noticeable over rfc1149/2549 links...

Marc

--
If you read this Mail while moving in traffic, you could hit
lantern stakes or end up knocked over by trucks.