List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: IMAP subfolder
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-26 18:52:42

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 14:33, Didier Poirot wrote:
<snip>
>  Reading the kroupware home page (see below), it seems that there is
> some bad integration between kmail and the kroupware client:

>------ Warning: Remove all of your "traditional" IMAP accounts before
> trying KMail/Kroupware or use a new $KDEHOME or even better: user.
> KMail/kroupware will mangle your traditional IMAP folders!
>------
>
>  This warning raises some questions:

That is a standard development/alpha/beta version disclaimer. You should
always be careful when upgrading critical software, even if it was
declared stable.

That said, we had a problem with the kroupware version eating IMAP
folders, but that is months away now.

The code is in kroupware_branch, where many people test it, as well as
in HEAD, where most developers work. You should be as safe as you can
get.

> 1. What about kroupware and kde directions ? Is there any 'roadmap'
> to integrate in the 'std' kde the kroupware enhancements ?

kroupware_branch is more or less in CVS HEAD already. But HEAD is the
unstable development version, while the imminent Kroupware release is
stable.

> 2. What do I need to do to get access to all my IMAP folders if I
> switch to kroupware ?

Remove your traditional IMAP account and create a disconnected IMAP
account with the new Kolab-Client KMail.

> 3. Do I need to do a full backup of all my IMAP folders before
> switching to kroupware to be able to go back to kmail in case of
> problem ?

No. IMAP stores the mails on the server and we don't know of any bugs
that can lead to server corruption anymore (not that there weren't
during development).

> 4. Do I need to build the software from the i8n from kroupware to use
> the mail client ? Same question for kpim ?
<snip>

parse error: i8n

If you are only interested in the non-groupware functionality, then it
suffices if you install kdenetwork/{libkdenetwork,kioslave,ktnef,kmail}
from the kroupware kdenetwork package over your 3.1 installation. If
you use KNode, you might want to recompile the kroupware version (not
that it would be different from the 3.1 one, but it also links against
libkdenetwork).

Hope that helps,
Marc

--
The DMCA is unconstitutional, but they don't care. Until it's ruled
unconstitutional, they've won. If they can scare software companies,