List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: IMAP subfolder
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2003-02-26 14:20:09

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 14:56, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 14:33, Didier Poirot wrote:>
>
> >  This warning raises some questions:
> >
> > 1. What about kroupware and kde directions ? Is there any 'roadmap'
> > to integrate in the 'std' kde the kroupware enhancements ?
>
> Most of the kroupware stuff is already in kde HEAD. There you have
> parallel support for both online and offline imap but the kroupware
> release is probably more stable regarding the offline mode.

No, it should be the same.

> > 2. What do I need to do to get access to all my IMAP folders if I
> > switch to kroupware ?
>
> If you just want to use your imap folders (in offline-mode, online is
> disabled there) you don't need something special. If you want to use
> the kroupware funtionality you need the kroupware server (kolab).

1: Offline mode is like pop3: You download something and it's deleted from
the server. That isn't available in any IMAP implementation in KMail. The
one in HEAD and kroupware branch is Disconnected IMAP. (Yes, I know, I'm
nitpicking here.)

2) The groupware functionality works with any IMAP server, but Kolab also
gives you Sieve, LDAP, integrated web administration, shared folders etc.
So you don't really *need* a Kolab server - it will work on your existing
IMAP server. But it might be a good idea to consider one.

> > 3. Do I need to do a full backup of all my IMAP folders before
> > switching to kroupware to be able to go back to kmail in case of
> > problem ?
>
> A backup is always recommended. But the kroupware version won't mix up
> your imap server so you can of course switch back.

Real men don't back up anything. They sweat when it goes bad.

> > 4. Do I need to build the software from the i8n from kroupware to use
> > the mail client ? Same question for kpim ?
>
> Don't know.

No, not unless you want a translated client. The i18n module is optional
for all KDE packages.

Bo.

- --

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark