List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: adding timestamp to transmission completed statusbar message
From:       "Patrick S. Vogt" <patrick.vogt () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2003-02-26 14:29:55

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 13:58, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 12:16, Patrick S. Vogt wrote:
> > An other option would be to have an other program that allows the
> > user to switch networksettings and then notify KMail to use a
> > different SMTP server/mailsending profile.
> <snip>
>
> That would be the most desireable, of course. E.g. make some kcontrol
> module (or kppp) emit a dcop signal.

For the moment I'd create a standalone deamon with a KSystemTray subclass for
easy management.
Though I would be nice to have a kcontrol module, for configuration and have
the deamon started in case it's needed.

> > for the MX records would work in most networks I am plugged into, non
> > of them uses a smarthost for message injection.
>
> Every single network I am on does this. Not per rfc 2476, but there's a
> smarthost everywhere that all clients should send mails to instead of
> letting local MTAs deliver it directly, since most relay MTAs won't
> accept messages from such hosts (ie. ones with dynamically assigned IP
> addresses).

hmmm, that was a missunderstanding.  What I meant is that in the networks I
use the MX hosts are used for message injection, not a dedicated host.

<snip>
> Note that the first one is an order of a magnitude easier than the
> second. The first one just needs a tiny class for OpenSLP encapsulation
> that you can probably mostly cut'n'paste from krdc and make the
> transport classes accept slp urls.

plus, getting to now slp...
... krdc just told me that I did not install slp properly. ;)

> The other one needs readProfile() methods implemented for almost every
> class that currently has readConfig(). Grep the source for readConfig
> and you'll the how big that task is ;-)

hmmm...  but why not implement it in KMSender?
Either directly in createSendProcFromString or after the sending failed in
slotIdle.

> > Whats about my other two proposals?  (They are more important in my
> > eyes.) It's really nice to have the time stamp.
>
> I don't have an opinion on this. It would probably be a nice feature to
> begin with :-)

so, whats about the patch, I send with my first email?
Form the KMail TODO:
	DS: (improve status showing, for concurrent account checking)
I could include this quite easy.

> > It would be really nice if KMail would stop checking for mail, if no
> > network is available.
>
> I think that this would perfectly fit into the KDE-wide network profile
> framework you described above. Or do you intent to do it
> mozilla/evolution style: add a File->Work {Off,On}line menu item? That
> would probably be easy, but don't you think that a KDE-wide framework
> would be more fitting? Would you want to tell every network application
> you have open (irc, mail, web, download manager) that you're going
> offline or would you prefer to have a kicker applet that you could
> click on to do all that in one go ;-)

sure I'd prefer to have a network profile framework.
but I cannot be done by sending patches for KMail... ;-)
... and to have a KMail menuentry would be a nice prework for this KDE-wide
solution.

Patrick