List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: adding timestamp to transmission completed statusbar message
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-26 12:58:09

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 12:16, Patrick S. Vogt wrote:
<snip>
> An other option would be to have an other program that allows the
> user to switch networksettings and then notify KMail to use a
> different SMTP server/mailsending profile.
<snip>

That would be the most desireable, of course. E.g. make some kcontrol
module (or kppp) emit a dcop signal.

> for the MX records would work in most networks I am plugged into, non
> of them uses a smarthost for message injection.

Every single network I am on does this. Not per rfc 2476, but there's a
smarthost everywhere that all clients should send mails to instead of
letting local MTAs deliver it directly, since most relay MTAs won't
accept messages from such hosts (ie. ones with dynamically assigned IP
addresses).

> > That leaves two options (which are not mutually exclusive):
> > 1. Use SLP to find smarthost SMTP servers.
> > 2. Extend profile management with user profile creation,
> > modification and fast switching (toolbar button).
>
> I would first implement the 2nd option (with an automatic
> recognition, since only having a toolbar button would not change
> much) nevertheless it might be nice to have the 1st one too.

Note that the first one is an order of a magnitude easier than the
second. The first one just needs a tiny class for OpenSLP encapsulation
that you can probably mostly cut'n'paste from krdc and make the
transport classes accept slp urls.

The other one needs readProfile() methods implemented for almost every
class that currently has readConfig(). Grep the source for readConfig
and you'll the how big that task is ;-)

> Whats about my other two proposals?  (They are more important in my
> eyes.) It's really nice to have the time stamp.

I don't have an opinion on this. It would probably be a nice feature to
begin with :-)

> It would be really nice if KMail would stop checking for mail, if no
> network is available.

I think that this would perfectly fit into the KDE-wide network profile
framework you described above. Or do you intent to do it
mozilla/evolution style: add a File->Work {Off,On}line menu item? That
would probably be easy, but don't you think that a KDE-wide framework
would be more fitting? Would you want to tell every network application
you have open (irc, mail, web, download manager) that you're going
offline or would you prefer to have a kicker applet that you could
click on to do all that in one go ;-)

Marc

--
The [Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act] expands copyright not
only for future, but also for existing works, even though their