List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Domino 5.x support - Status
From:       "Mauro DePascale" <mauro.depascale () marconi ! com>
Date:       2002-08-30 9:10:25

Don,

thanks for your positive comments, I really need them!!!

About the patch, many consideration there:

1. The KMail patch provided into the CVS tree is made for Kde3.0.2. I'm
upgrading my build/test machine to Kde 3.0.3 so even the patch will be
updated to that release shortly.
     I've found another machine where to setup an environment for Kde 3.1.
I've to check it configuration and I've not installed it yet but, if
everything goes well, I think I'll be able to provide a patch for Kde 3.1
in the next week. Unfortunately, I can't grant you about it but I'll do my
best.
     My idea is to provide patches for the last two main Kde's releases
keeping them in sync with the KioNotes's development.
2. About adding it into the main CVS: I followed a good idea caming from
Michael Häckel and now the Domino code, even if compiled into KMail, is
only visible if the "notes" protocol is available. In this way, because the
KMail code added by the patch does not have any dependacy on external
libraries, it will be possible to include and compile it without any
particular option to be enabled (if you want to see it, just add a fake
notes.protocol into /opt/kde2/share/services . . .). I think this can be
good: we can add Domino support into the standard distribution and then
having it enabled automatically just where it's really required.
3. About licensing: the code provided into the patch is completely free,
to access the KioNotes services it uses just calls to the KioSlave
interface so it can be distributed along Kde without any problem. This is
the reason why I preferred to have KioNotes as a separate package/project:
in this way the licensing problems will go with KioNotes leaving Kde free
of any involvement.

Because I really understand nothing about legalese, I provide attach for
both old and new license notices as provided within the the API packages
(Lotus and IBM licenses).

My understanding is that, with the Lotus license, it was possible to
distribute a binary package with few restrictions while I was unable to
figure out what it's possible to do with the new IBM's license.

If someone can give it a look and then share its comments with me, I'll
appreciate a lot.

Summarizing: there is not any license problem for the KMail patch, you have
my permission to include that code and all its future versions into the
main Kde releases as you like.
Regarding KioNotes: I'll delay considering the license problems for it
'til the project will be in a more advanced state: now I've not time
(however, if someone can help with it, please do!! Thanks in advance.).

Thanks to all for the great Kde environment.

Mauro "Larry" de Pascale

(See attached file: apilicns22.txt)(See attached file: apilicns21.txt)

Don Sanders <sanders@kde.org>@mail.kde.org on 30/08/2002 07.49.13

Please respond to kmail@mail.kde.org

Sent by:  kmail-admin@mail.kde.org