List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RE: Kfm and -geometry option
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-20 16:57:06

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 12:17:34PM -0400, Calvin Ostrum wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> | > I am currently using the kfm to display remotely html pages (using
> | > kfmclient).
> | > My problem is that I am unable to force the kfm to map its window on
> | > a precise location. The '-geometry +x+y' option works for 'kvt' and a
> | > few other utilities , but not for the Kfm.
>
> | > Which line of code should I modifiy to re-enable the
> | > '-geometry' option on the Kfm ?
>
> | The problem, as far as I understand it, is not the -geometry option of kfm.
> | What you want is an additionnal option in kfmclient exec (or openURL)
> | for specifying the window size. For this you need to add those arguments
> | to the IPC communication between kfmclient and kfm, which is not a one line
> | fix.
>
> I had the same problem and started making a few
> kludge modifications to kfm so it would do what I wanted.
>
> I had the OpenURL command also send information about
> window size and location, packed into the same string
> that was holding the URL itself, with a reasonable looking
> syntax that is easy for the user of kfmclient to employ. This
> was unpacked in kfm, and the URL part sent off along the usual
> path while the size and location information was saved in KfmGui as
> a default size and location.  This default size and location
> were then used when the next new KfmGui was created, after
> which they were forgotten about so subsequent window creation
> reverted to normal.
ok

> The total fix here is not a lot more than one-line, although
> it is rather kludgy.  However, I wonder if in starting to do
> this, I have messed something up.  It was working very well
> with kde 1.1.1, but then I downloaded kde 1.1.2 in rpm form
> and used rpm -U to install it.  I then found that kfmclient
> started from the command line could not detect the currently
> running kfm, and started a new one.  I don't think my
> mofications could have caused this, since I think they have
> been totally blown away by the upgrade.  I wonder if anyone
> has any other ideas about what could cause this behavior
> with kfmclient?
Yes.
Make sure your hostname NEVER changes.
Uncheck "autoconfigure hostname from IP" in kppp, check your ppp scripts,
especially under RH 5.x, ...
The file in /tmp now contains the hostname, and it turned out to
break everybody with somewhat dynamic hostnames.

> | OTOH, with konqueror and KDE 2's kfmclient, this is very easy to do
> | (when it's ported to dcop, i.e. next week-end probably, unless someone
> | beats me to it ;)
>
> Given the immanent release of KDE 2 and konquerer I decided not
Immanent ? Some peole are optimistic :)

> to bother with this issue anymore, hoping it would be handled
> better there.  (Kfm was a very nice improvement from 1.1.1 to
> 1.1.2, mainly because the horrendous memory leak was fixed.
> Now, I think for most things, it can be used instead of
> Netscape.  It is faster, renders pages more aesthetically
> than Netscape, and doesn't leak memory.  I hope the new
> Konqueror retains all of this, and at the same
> time adds https and deals better with forms and cgi.  Will
> it?)
I hope.

--
David FAURE