On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 12:17:34PM -0400, Calvin Ostrum wrote: > On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, David Faure wrote: > > | > I am currently using the kfm to display remotely html pages (using > | > kfmclient). > | > My problem is that I am unable to force the kfm to map its window on > | > a precise location. The '-geometry +x+y' option works for 'kvt' and a > | > few other utilities , but not for the Kfm. > > | > Which line of code should I modifiy to re-enable the > | > '-geometry' option on the Kfm ? > > | The problem, as far as I understand it, is not the -geometry option of kfm. > | What you want is an additionnal option in kfmclient exec (or openURL) > | for specifying the window size. For this you need to add those arguments > | to the IPC communication between kfmclient and kfm, which is not a one line > | fix. > > I had the same problem and started making a few > kludge modifications to kfm so it would do what I wanted. > > I had the OpenURL command also send information about > window size and location, packed into the same string > that was holding the URL itself, with a reasonable looking > syntax that is easy for the user of kfmclient to employ. This > was unpacked in kfm, and the URL part sent off along the usual > path while the size and location information was saved in KfmGui as > a default size and location. This default size and location > were then used when the next new KfmGui was created, after > which they were forgotten about so subsequent window creation > reverted to normal. ok > The total fix here is not a lot more than one-line, although > it is rather kludgy. However, I wonder if in starting to do > this, I have messed something up. It was working very well > with kde 1.1.1, but then I downloaded kde 1.1.2 in rpm form > and used rpm -U to install it. I then found that kfmclient > started from the command line could not detect the currently > running kfm, and started a new one. I don't think my > mofications could have caused this, since I think they have > been totally blown away by the upgrade. I wonder if anyone > has any other ideas about what could cause this behavior > with kfmclient? Yes. Make sure your hostname NEVER changes. Uncheck "autoconfigure hostname from IP" in kppp, check your ppp scripts, especially under RH 5.x, ... The file in /tmp now contains the hostname, and it turned out to break everybody with somewhat dynamic hostnames. > | OTOH, with konqueror and KDE 2's kfmclient, this is very easy to do > | (when it's ported to dcop, i.e. next week-end probably, unless someone > | beats me to it ;) > > Given the immanent release of KDE 2 and konquerer I decided not Immanent ? Some peole are optimistic :) > to bother with this issue anymore, hoping it would be handled > better there. (Kfm was a very nice improvement from 1.1.1 to > 1.1.2, mainly because the horrendous memory leak was fixed. > Now, I think for most things, it can be used instead of > Netscape. It is faster, renders pages more aesthetically > than Netscape, and doesn't leak memory. I hope the new > Konqueror retains all of this, and at the same > time adds https and deals better with forms and cgi. Will > it?) I hope. -- David FAURE david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org http://home.clara.net/faure/ KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today