List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: Kfm and -geometry option
From:       Calvin Ostrum <cbo () interlog ! com>
Date:       1999-10-20 16:17:34

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, David Faure wrote:

| > I am currently using the kfm to display remotely html pages (using
| > kfmclient).
| > My problem is that I am unable to force the kfm to map its window on
| > a precise location. The '-geometry +x+y' option works for 'kvt' and a
| > few other utilities , but not for the Kfm.

| > Which line of code should I modifiy to re-enable the
| > '-geometry' option on the Kfm ?

| The problem, as far as I understand it, is not the -geometry option of kfm.
| What you want is an additionnal option in kfmclient exec (or openURL)
| for specifying the window size. For this you need to add those arguments
| to the IPC communication between kfmclient and kfm, which is not a one line
| fix.

I had the same problem and started making a few
kludge modifications to kfm so it would do what I wanted.

I had the OpenURL command also send information about
window size and location, packed into the same string
that was holding the URL itself, with a reasonable looking
syntax that is easy for the user of kfmclient to employ. This
was unpacked in kfm, and the URL part sent off along the usual
path while the size and location information was saved in KfmGui as
a default size and location.  This default size and location
were then used when the next new KfmGui was created, after
which they were forgotten about so subsequent window creation
reverted to normal.

The total fix here is not a lot more than one-line, although
it is rather kludgy.  However, I wonder if in starting to do
this, I have messed something up.  It was working very well
with kde 1.1.1, but then I downloaded kde 1.1.2 in rpm form
and used rpm -U to install it.  I then found that kfmclient
started from the command line could not detect the currently
running kfm, and started a new one.  I don't think my
mofications could have caused this, since I think they have
been totally blown away by the upgrade.  I wonder if anyone
has any other ideas about what could cause this behavior
with kfmclient?

| OTOH, with konqueror and KDE 2's kfmclient, this is very easy to do
| (when it's ported to dcop, i.e. next week-end probably, unless someone
| beats me to it ;)

Given the immanent release of KDE 2 and konquerer I decided not
to bother with this issue anymore, hoping it would be handled
better there.  (Kfm was a very nice improvement from 1.1.1 to
1.1.2, mainly because the horrendous memory leak was fixed.
Now, I think for most things, it can be used instead of
Netscape.  It is faster, renders pages more aesthetically
than Netscape, and doesn't leak memory.  I hope the new
Konqueror retains all of this, and at the same
time adds https and deals better with forms and cgi.  Will
it?)

Calvin Ostrum                                             cbo@interlog.com
  It need hardly be mentioned that the sight of a being adorned with no
  feature of a pure and good will yet enjoying uninterrupted prosperity
  can never give pleasure to a rational impartial observer.
        -- Kant, "Foundations of the metaphysics of morals"