List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror issues
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-02-11 18:07:40

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 06:19:15PM +0100, Michael Reiher wrote:
> > Come on, let's make it _really_ generic, with as many views as the user
> > wants to.
> OK! And the views should be OpenParts.

That's a good point... To OpenParts experts (Simon, ...) : is this possible ?
Would it mean that a view could be a kword document ? :)
That would be great ! - Although a bit special :)

> Then each view can be a file
> view, tree view, HTML view, image-viewer view ... what ever.
Well, that's the plan anyway, and almost done already.

> Specially configured view parts could be used in kfile or kfinds result
> box.
Right.
It's OpenParts used the other way round, compared to kword in a view :)

> > Only issue is about trees : are they just another view in tree mode, or are
> > they opened as 'the tree for view X', so that it follows the navigation in
> > view X ?
> First I would say only one "tree" class, but that _completely_
> configurable. You should be able to configure the shown columns and
> their order and switch between different sets with a key
> combination(like MCs Alt-t), their starting dir. Further it should have
> user defineable top level items i.e. root, home, desktop, cdrom, other
> hds or ftp servers. Maybe that UDS stuff is useful for that? Does anyone
> know where I can get more information about that? Open ftp servers could
> be added(and removed) at runtime. Trees could be made connectable to any
> view by the user at runtime. It shouln´t also be so hard to turn the
> current tree widget into a long list view. I´m currently forced to work
> with 800x600 and there I would prefer only to have the file names in the
> first column and not a tree structure because all the indents are wasted
> space. And that is limmited.
> That are only some of my ideas:)
> Are there already any detailed design plans for that stuff? Torben?
Those ideas about the tree view are great. I don't think there are any
design plans for something as elaborate as the above. Feel free to
contribute :)

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |