List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: konqueror issues]
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-02-11 18:02:35

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 12:00:10PM -0500, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> Sorry to fwd this to kde-devel, but it seems that I cannot write to
> kfm-devel mailing list.  What do I need to do to change this ?

I thought kfm-devel was _not_ a restricted list. Martin K. ?

> Well I am not so sure here.  This can be completely be off topic, but what if
> down the line we want
> to have the ability to embed other applications that could possibly require
> more than the two
> views ?  As an example, I would suggest to you this.  Right now we can browse
> HTML documents
> as well as our local resources from kfm. What if this can be extended to
> allow the user to read email as well.
> Then we definitely, at least in my opinion, need at least three views (kmail
> for example has three split views)
> I know I am being a devil's advocate here, but it is my belief that
> restricting this now could possibly result in
> a redesign down the road.  I guess my ultimate question is : will adding this
> support impact its design a great
> deal now ?  will it cause problems ?  If not, then I do not see why it has to
> be restricted.  At least the choice
> should be left to the end user to decide the number of views they need ....

I don't need to say that I totally agree with you about not making any
limitation on the number and the position of the views (I was the first to
suggest more than two views, remember ? Then some developers said : why
more than two views, but I think now I got the agreement on n views)

When I have time (not before this week-end), I'll implement lots of things
in kfm, among which view-related properties and multiple views - if nobody
does it before :)

What would be great would be to use a separator between the views, to be
able to easily resize them. Does such a thing exist in Qt ? You know, the
thing that exists even in Athena widgets, with a small box to move the
separator...

> I will agree to anything that allows me to separately set the properties for
> the FileManager and the HTMLBrowser.  I have a specific reason why I say
> this.  I use a TrueType enabled XServer.
> As such I have to constantly change the size of my fonts when I go from
> browsing web pages to
> browsing my directories.  the font settings I want for these are completely
> different in type as well as size.
Yup. I/we'll do that too.

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |