List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] simple question about how to manage delivery
From:       Robert Smits <bob () rsmits ! ca>
Date:       2008-01-03 8:31:35

On January 2, 2008 11:17:29 pm E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008 01:46:41 Robert Smits wrote:
> > No it's not. Once you have defined a distribution list, shut down kontact
> > and reboot. I think you will find your distribution list now. It is
> > usually near the bottom of the selection of types of contacts. Choose
> > distribution list and you should see the one you defined.
>
> Well, I don't know if you meant to reboot the computer, but I shut down
> kontact, ended the kde session and restarted a new kde session which didn't
> help. I can see the distribution lists in the allocated pane in address
> book. There is even a drop down list to select the particular distribution
> list you have created before, but

Yes, I meant reboot the computer. I've noticed that sometimes you need to
reboot before something you've added will show up properly in Kaddressbook.

> 1. There is no button in address book to create a new message to that list.
> You can create new messages to individual contacts but not individual
> lists.

Sure there is. In Kmail start a new message, then select distribution lists,
then select the list you want.

> And the distribution lists only show on the allocated pane, not on
> the contacts list.

While you're in Contacts, go to Settings, then Show Extension Bar and make
sure the box next to Distribution List Editor is selected. When you select
one of the distribution lists in the lower window, you can add new contacts,
remove them, rename the list, etc. You can also use the filter function to
select a particular group of addresses and then drag them to the distribution
list.

> You've got to select it from the new message window. 2.I
> can NOT see the distribution lists that I created in kaddress book when I
> use the Select button in the new message window. I make sure "All" is
> selected in the "Address Book" labelled drop-down list at the top of that
> window.

Instead of selecting All, select distribution list and your lists will appear.
Hovering your mouse over the list name will show the entries in the list.

> I CAN only see the lists that I saved previously from the new
> message window using Tools > Save Distribution List, but I can not delete,
> rename or change them.

Of course you can. You need to use the Distribution List Editor, that's all.

 If you're in Contacts, go to settings,
> For Sinclair, I use Mandriva 2008 powerpack. You may be right, there might
> be something wrong with my settings, I guess this is what I am trying to
> figure out. I read all the text files in my .kde directory related to kmail
> and kaddressbook
> (~/.kde/share/config/kaddressbook_addrconfig, .../kaddressbookrc,
> .../kmail.eventsrc and .../kmailrc). Icouldn't find anything to correct
> there.

You'll find the contact addresses in a series of files called std.vcf,
std.vcf_1, and so on in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc.There's also a distribution
list file in the same folder.

> I wonder which database is queried when you push the select button from the
> new message window. It has to be somehow different than the database
> kaddressbook reads/writes, at least in my situation.

Nope. See above.

> I guess I can reboot the computer too, but I didn't do it before I wrote
> this e-mail.

Try it and see if your list shows up.

--
Bob Smits bob@rsmits.ca