List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] simple question about how to manage delivery
From:       "E. Hakan Duran" <ehakanduran () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-03 17:57:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 03 January 2008 03:31:35 Robert Smits wrote:
> Yes, I meant reboot the computer. I've noticed that sometimes you need to
> reboot before something you've added will show up properly in Kaddressbook.

First of all I need to thank you for taking time to address my questions in
detail. I really appreciate it.

I did reboot the computer, but the lists I added using the addressbook
Extension Bar/Distribution list still don't show up as a selectable option
from kmail/New message window, using the Select button.

> > 1. There is no button in address book to create a new message to that
> > list. You can create new messages to individual contacts but not
> > individual lists.
>
> Sure there is. In Kmail start a new message, then select distribution
> lists, then select the list you want.

Just how can I do that? I open Kmail, start a new message then how exactly I
select distribution lists? From the Select button next to the To field,
right? That is the main thing I have been complaining about. They are not
listed there. I fail to see another menu option / button to do that. It may
be because of my locale, but please let me know which menu or button to use
other than the Select button I have been referring to.

> While you're in Contacts, go to Settings, then Show Extension Bar and make
> sure the box next to Distribution List Editor is selected. When you select
> one of the distribution lists in the lower window, you can add new
> contacts, remove them, rename the list, etc. You can also use the filter
> function to select a particular group of addresses and then drag them to
> the distribution list.

This I have no problem with. But still the distribution lists only show on the
allocated pane, not on the contacts list with funny icons including a green
and blue fellow (this is the way they show on the list that comes up when you
push the Select button next to the To filed in a new message window).

> Instead of selecting All, select distribution list and your lists will
> appear. Hovering your mouse over the list name will show the entries in the
> list.

Yes they do, but only the ones I saved previously from kmail (Tools>Save
distribution list), not from address book. This is the problem.

> Of course you can. You need to use the Distribution List Editor, that's
> all.

I can't, because the lists I saved from kmail are not listed in the address
book Distribution List Editor. They are only listed when I push the Select
button next to the To filed in a new message window. The ones I create using
Distribution List Editor, on the other hand, are not listed when I push the
Select button next to the To filed in a new message window.

> You'll find the contact addresses in a series of files called std.vcf,
> std.vcf_1, and so on in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc.There's also a distribution
> list file in the same folder.

I went there (~/.kde/share/apps/kabc) edited the distribution list file by
kwrite, and saved it and achieved my goal. The only lists those were there
were the ones I saved from kmail.  None of the lists I created using address
book Distribution List Editor were listed there. I guess my address book does
not appropriately save distribution lists to the allocated file for some
reason. Any idea why?

Ones again, thanks a lot for the great guidance.

Hakan