List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users]
From:       Pablo Sanchez <pablo () blueoakdb ! com>
Date:       2007-05-28 1:49:09

On Saturday 26 May 2007 at 6:37 pm, Thorsten Schnebeck etched:

> In the config options should be a new option "Exchange compatible attachment
> naming". If this option is false the old code is used. If the option is true
> the new code for exchange compatibility runs - or better should run.
>
> But it is important that the new option if disabled for the old behavior!

Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for the hint.  Below I'm using my wife's Outlook 2003 in my
experiments.  I don't have 2000 or 2007.

Here's what I learned.

Setting up Calendar Events - so even Outlook (2003) can Understand
Configure Calendar
------------------
o Settings > Configure Calendar ...
o Group Scheduling
o X - Use Groupware communication

Configure Kmail
---------------
o Settings > Configure Kmail ...
o Misc, select 'Groupware' tab
o Check 'Send invitiations in the mail body'

Responding to Outlook (2003) Calendar Requests
Round #1
--------
I tried the 'Mangle From:/To:headers in replies to invitations' option
but this didn't do anything from Outlook's perspective.

Outlook received an e-mail message in the Inbox and didn't know how to
process it.

This was similar to if I did _not_ pick this setting.

Result
------
Outlook doesn't like it and can't process the response.

Configure Kmail
---------------
o Settings > Configure Kmail ...
o Misc, select 'Groupware' tab
o Check 'Mangle From:/To: headers in replies to invitations'

Round #2
--------
I disabled 'Mangle From:/To:headers in replies to invitations' and
instead set 'Exchange compatible invitations naming' in the
'Groupware' tab.

Result
------
In order for Outlook to record the response (acceptance, etc), the
Outlook user must open the attachment.  It's not very obvious they
need to do this, then close the attachment.

For the time being, I'll put a note in the body of the response that
the Outlook user must do this.

Ideally, the response should automatically accept on the Outlook
user's calendar.

> P.S. Please cc: me as I'm not subscribed

Will do!

Thank you everyone for your attention so far.
--
Pablo