List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] old style email aliases?
From:       David Chopp <chopp () northwestern ! edu>
Date:       2007-03-26 15:24:32

On Monday 26 March 2007 06:25 am, you wrote:
> On Saturday 24 March 2007, David Chopp wrote:
> > I have a question about using email aliases and kmail.  In the old days,
> > email aliases could be stored in a .aliases file with a format of "foo:
> > bar@company.com" so that I could type "mail foo" and the message would be
> > sent to bar@company.com.  For a long time I have wanted to do this within
> > kmail and have never figured out how to do it.  I would like to enter
> > "foo" in the "To:" box and have it resolve to bar@company.com.  A perfect
> > solution would allow me to easily use or adapt my existing .aliases file,
> > but I'll settle for something less than ideal if it works.  If it helps,
> > I use sendmail to do the mail handling, so is that where I should be
> > looking? Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> I can't answer that, but I wonder if there isn't a simpler way of achieving
> what you want.  If you start a To line with 'foo' it will check your
> recently-used addresses and autocomplete if it finds it.  Perhaps simply
> increasing the time that recent addresses are stored would be all you need?
> The only problem is that I can't remember where the config file for this is
> stored, or whether and how you could change it from within kmail.  I'm sure
> I've actually seen the file - I just can't spot it at the moment.  Try
> searching ~/.kde/share/config/
>
> Anne

Anne,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do use the completion tool to insert addresses,
but the problem is that I have a number of people for whom their name and
their email don't share much in common.  I have also experienced the limit of
the memory buffer, as you noted, where email addresses are forgotten.  So
far, that's the only tool I have found that even comes close.  After looking
through the kaddressbook stuff, I noticed that it does include a field for
nickname.  To me, it would be great if I could type in the nickname and have
kmail insert the email address associated with that nickname.  I guess this
is a plea to the developers if nothing else.  In my mind, that was one of the
best features of the old mail programs, and I miss it.

Cheers!

Dave

David Chopp
Associate Professor
Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
Co-Director
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Program
Northwestern University
E-mail: chopp@northwestern.edu
Phone: (847)-491-8391
Fax:   (847)-491-2178