List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] old style email aliases?
From:       Ropetin Again <ropetin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-26 17:11:26

On Monday 26 March 2007 11:24:32 David Chopp wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I do use the completion tool to insert
> addresses, but the problem is that I have a number of people for whom their
> name and their email don't share much in common.  I have also experienced
> the limit of the memory buffer, as you noted, where email addresses are
> forgotten.  So far, that's the only tool I have found that even comes
> close.  After looking through the kaddressbook stuff, I noticed that it
> does include a field for nickname.  To me, it would be great if I could
> type in the nickname and have kmail insert the email address associated
> with that nickname.  I guess this is a plea to the developers if nothing
> else.  In my mind, that was one of the best features of the old mail
> programs, and I miss it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Dave

If you add someone to your address book, then KMail will do auto complete on
either the name or the email address.  I.e., if I entered a new contact with
the name John Smith, and the email address user@example.com, I can press J...
for auto complete on John, S... for auto complete on Smith or U... for auto
complete on user@example.com.  The place this falls down is if John is known
to his buddies as 'Captain', then you can't put that in the nickname and do
auto complete on C... to get the correct address.

As a long time Mutt user I agree with your wish.  However, the old Mutt way is
actually more limiting.  With the alias file you could only do auto complete
(even though you had to type the whole thing) on the nickname.  I.e. if you
forget that you aliased John Smith under the name Captain, you wouldn't be
able to find him.  I would say the best way to handle this would not be to
use an alias type file, but actually allow auto complete on a customizable
list of fields.  Obvious ones would be name, nickname, email address and
company, although other ones would be useful for some people too.

Ropetin