List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kpilot -> changing handhelds
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-02-27 2:57:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 26 February 2007 12:20, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Sunday 25 February 2007 11:32, Art Alexion wrote:
> > My Samsung i500 (Palm OS 4.1) looks like it may be dying.  The graffiti
> > area no longer recognizes the stylus.  Soft reset does not help.  No new
> > files installed between the time it worked and when it stopped so I see
> > no fix with a hard reset.
>
> Yikes.   Sorry to hear that.  =:/

For some reason, it just started working again Sunday afternoon.

> > I am thinking of going with a non-Palm OS replacement as I don't like the
> > Treos and there is not much else available in the US.
>
> Eww.  Don't go the Windows-device route!!!  I tried it and will never do so
> again.

No.  Not much good available in them, either here -- either big bricks or the
Treo 700w.

I was thinking of going back to using two separate devices.  I like the
Motorola V3s.  I want my phone to be a phone in form factor.  If you can fit
a Palm into it great.  If not, I'll take a separate Palm device.

Anyway, not a worry for now.

> > I will go back to using my Clié (also OS 4.1).  They have different sync
> > names i500 = Art Alexion
> > Clié = Arthur S. Alexion
>
> Cool.  I still miss my NX70V.  =:/
>
> > I have never tried syncing both with the same KDE login.  Works fine with
> > windows as the Palm HotSync segregates the data directories for different
> > device sync names.  Does kpilot/pilot-link do the same?  What is the
> > recommended way to switch from syncing the phone to syncing the Clié?  I
> > will use the same data.  Other than the phone apps and the memory stick
> > apps, everything should be compatible as it is the same Palm OS.
>
> Hmm.  Yes, kpilot does use a different directory for your username (look in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/conduits/).  However, I don't know how kpilot
> would handle trying to keep two devices in sync with the kontact data.

Perhaps separate "resources" but that wouldn't be the case anyway as I would
be switching rather than using both.

> Might work. Might cause your cat to go bald.

My cat IS going bald!  ... but I think it is because it has found a place in
the basement where it can crawl in the walls and keeps scraping his head on a
nail or an errant piece of plaster.  Fortunately, this cannot be blamed on
kpilot.

> Are you intending to a switch-over and then only sync with the one device?

That was the plan.

> If that's the case, I'd do a one-time CopyPCtoHH and then from then on you
> should be good.

OK.  Thanks.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net