List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kpilot -> changing handhelds
From:       "Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper" <vr () movingparts ! net>
Date:       2007-02-26 17:20:29

On Sunday 25 February 2007 11:32, Art Alexion wrote:
> My Samsung i500 (Palm OS 4.1) looks like it may be dying.  The graffiti
> area no longer recognizes the stylus.  Soft reset does not help.  No new
> files installed between the time it worked and when it stopped so I see no
> fix with a hard reset.

Yikes.   Sorry to hear that.  =:/

> I am thinking of going with a non-Palm OS replacement as I don't like the
> Treos and there is not much else available in the US.

Eww.  Don't go the Windows-device route!!!  I tried it and will never do so
again.

> I will go back to using my Clié (also OS 4.1).  They have different sync
> names i500 = Art Alexion
> Clié = Arthur S. Alexion

Cool.  I still miss my NX70V.  =:/

> I have never tried syncing both with the same KDE login.  Works fine with
> windows as the Palm HotSync segregates the data directories for different
> device sync names.  Does kpilot/pilot-link do the same?  What is the
> recommended way to switch from syncing the phone to syncing the Clié?  I
> will use the same data.  Other than the phone apps and the memory stick
> apps, everything should be compatible as it is the same Palm OS.

Hmm.  Yes, kpilot does use a different directory for your username (look in
~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/conduits/).  However, I don't know how kpilot would
handle trying to keep two devices in sync with the kontact data.  Might work.
Might cause your cat to go bald.

Are you intending to a switch-over and then only sync with the one device?  If
that's the case, I'd do a one-time CopyPCtoHH and then from then on you
should be good.

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper
 -[ KDEPIM Developer