List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Journal Usability Cleanup
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-01 15:38:28

On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:01, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> I am making use of KOrganizer's journal facility on a regular basis, and in
> time I have come to realize that certain things don't belong there, or at
> least they don't seem to belong there and I can't imagine a proper use for
> them.

Thanks for your input Mihnea.  These are issues that are best brought to
the attention of us developers on kde-pim@kde.org, or better yet, through bugs.kde.org.

> First and foremost the Date and Time inputs: a journal is implicitly
> chronological, each entry pertains to the date and time when it was written.
> When people who keep a journal enter something about yesterday, they don't
> start by claiming that the entry as such has been written yesterday. They
> instead start their entry with "Yesterday...".
>
> Please simply record the date and time when the entry was written, and remove
> the date/time inputs from the GUI.

But what if I want forgot to write yesterday's journal and this morning I decide to write it?
Isn't it Ok the way it is with the default date setting?

> Second comes the Attendees tab (and thereby the whole tabbar, since it only
> contains two tabs altogether). What does it mean in this context? It's
> cetainly useful to keep track of attendees while planning for certain events
> within KOrganizer, but planning for events is one context and writing a
> journal entry is a completely different context. One is about the future, the
> other about the past, one has to do with distribution lists while the other
> one is normally private etc.
>
> Please remove the Attendees tab from the journal entry dialog, if there really
> is no  non-abusive use for it.

You have a good point here.  I can't think of a good reason for Journal attendees.
Anyone??

> Third comes the title field. Frankly I'm not sure about this, perhaps it makes
> sense to leave it in. But at any rate it makes sense to at least think about
> dropping it, because journal entries tend to be and certainly can be
> identified by their date and time, and this is how they normally do get
> identified in real world journals (who has time to invent a matching title
> every time? ;-) )

Another good point.  What if we fill in a default title like "Journal for <date>" ??
Seems like something we shouldn't remove since sometimes you will want a title.

> Thank you for reading this,

Sure.   Admittedly, KOrganizer's journal feature hasn't gotten as much love as the other parts.

Regards,
Allen