List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Journal Usability Cleanup
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2006-10-01 10:01:42

I am making use of KOrganizer's journal facility on a regular basis, and in
time I have come to realize that certain things don't belong there, or at
least they don't seem to belong there and I can't imagine a proper use for
them.

First and foremost the Date and Time inputs: a journal is implicitly
chronological, each entry pertains to the date and time when it was written.
When people who keep a journal enter something about yesterday, they don't
start by claiming that the entry as such has been written yesterday. They
instead start their entry with "Yesterday...".

Please simply record the date and time when the entry was written, and remove
the date/time inputs from the GUI.

Second comes the Attendees tab (and thereby the whole tabbar, since it only
contains two tabs altogether). What does it mean in this context? It's
cetainly useful to keep track of attendees while planning for certain events
within KOrganizer, but planning for events is one context and writing a
journal entry is a completely different context. One is about the future, the
other about the past, one has to do with distribution lists while the other
one is normally private etc.

Please remove the Attendees tab from the journal entry dialog, if there really
is no  non-abusive use for it.

Third comes the title field. Frankly I'm not sure about this, perhaps it makes
sense to leave it in. But at any rate it makes sense to at least think about
dropping it, because journal entries tend to be and certainly can be
identified by their date and time, and this is how they normally do get
identified in real world journals (who has time to invent a matching title
every time? ;-) )

Thank you for reading this,

Mihnea Capraru