List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Journal Usability Cleanup
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-02 4:02:19

Hi Community.

This is not a formal reply, it's more like new topics for this conversation:

Journal may be seen as of different use for different people.

The Journal is for me a very basic Activities' List.
I use the title bar in the hope there is somewhere/sometimes a search tool for
it: If I work on Avian Flu, I try to start all titles by "AvI"  (and ToDo's
and Meetings) & would love to be able, at times of final reporting for
instance, to get all "AvI" entries in the journal to be displayed -AvI
Meetings, AvI Programs Proposals, AvI training whatever - Helping me by this
way summarise everything that happend over a specific issue.

I am not aware of any way to do this in Kontact / Korganizer 3.4, but I may be
dumb. There is no entry for Journal both in User's Manual & Online Docs.

One thing I am totally unaware of, is how to "connect" events to the Journal,
so that ToDos, Calendar Events, Number of mails sent/receivesd, Notes created
do receive/create their own entry in the journal.

But I may be dumb, and unfortunately rely on a pre-historic version of KDE
(3.4) alongside Cavern-Age Suse 9.3... :) No, I do not intend to change my
reliable system for now.

FootNote: it seems Journal is somehow connected to libkcal, which does not
appear in my YaST. Should I be concerned ?

Original conversation, with some replies:
On Sunday 1 October 2006 22:38, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:01, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> > I am making use of KOrganizer's journal facility on a regular basis, and
> > in time I have come to realize that certain things don't belong there, or
> > at least they don't seem to belong there and I can't imagine a proper use
> > for them.
>
> Thanks for your input Mihnea.  These are issues that are best brought to
> the attention of us developers on kde-pim@kde.org, or better yet, through
> bugs.kde.org.
>
> > First and foremost the Date and Time inputs: a journal is implicitly
> > chronological, each entry pertains to the date and time when it was
> > written. When people who keep a journal enter something about yesterday,
> > they don't start by claiming that the entry as such has been written
> > yesterday. They instead start their entry with "Yesterday...".
> >
> > Please simply record the date and time when the entry was written, and
> > remove the date/time inputs from the GUI.
>
> But what if I want forgot to write yesterday's journal and this morning I
> decide to write it? Isn't it Ok the way it is with the default date
> setting?

Agree, one should be able to choose the date of entry but: you can add an
entry to any date by selecting it on the Calendar Pane by the way >> no need
for Date field in the Journal Entry.

> > Second comes the Attendees tab (and thereby the whole tabbar, since it
> > only contains two tabs altogether). What does it mean in this context?
> > It's cetainly useful to keep track of attendees while planning for
> > certain events within KOrganizer, but planning for events is one context
> > and writing a journal entry is a completely different context. One is
> > about the future, the other about the past, one has to do with
> > distribution lists while the other one is normally private etc.
> >
> > Please remove the Attendees tab from the journal entry dialog, if there
> > really is no  non-abusive use for it.
>
> You have a good point here.  I can't think of a good reason for Journal
> attendees. Anyone??

I believe that for people with a functional outlook-like Meeting
Requests/Approval automation, Online Calendar & all the stuff, it could be
usefull to have all attendees automatically displayed in your journal entry
for this event. Now, who's using this feature ?

> > Third comes the title field. Frankly I'm not sure about this, perhaps it
> > makes sense to leave it in. But at any rate it makes sense to at least
> > think about dropping it, because journal entries tend to be and certainly
> > can be identified by their date and time, and this is how they normally
> > do get identified in real world journals (who has time to invent a
> > matching title every time? ;-) )
>
> Another good point.  What if we fill in a default title like "Journal for
> <date>" ?? Seems like something we shouldn't remove since sometimes you
> will want a title.

See top of message...

> > Thank you for reading this,
>
> Sure.   Admittedly, KOrganizer's journal feature hasn't gotten as much love
> as the other parts.
>
> Regards,
> Allen

Regards to all

If soimeone pronounces the words "Thread Hijacking", I'll start a new one with
deepest apologies.

Jean-Philippe.

--

SuSE93 Linux Kernell 2.6.11.4-21.14 KDE 3.4.0 Kontact 1.1 Kmail 1.8
PHNOM PENH - CAMBODIA