List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Inline images
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2006-06-29 13:26:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 29 June 2006 05:01, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > Are there plans for KDE4 to address this?
>
> I'm sure Edwin (who introduced the current support for creating HTML
> messages) would love to address this issue. In the end it depends on
> the existence of an editor component supporting embedded images. The
> standard editor component of Qt 4 (QTextEdit) seems to have some
> support for it, so hopefully we/Edwin'll be able to implement this.
>
> IIRC then QTextEdit doesn't have support for tables, so unless we make
> use of Quanta's HTML editor, adding table support will be impossible.
>
> There have been plans for making it possible to switch between different
> editor components, but as much too often the developer working on it
> ran out of time and lost interest.

This would seem to be the best solution.  I have no idea how easy or difficult
this would be to implement.  My need to do this is rare, but real.  It would
be nice to use QTextEdit most of the time, and Quanta when I really need
formatting.

> So the answer to your question is: Don't give up the hope, but don't
> hold your breath either.

Here is a question as to how we can accomplish this now.

Most of the time kmail displays in-line images in-line.  Occasionally, they
appear only as attachments, and other times they appear as both.  I am not
sure what composing method triggers what behavior.

Suppose I wanted to fire up Quanta and compose an HTML message.  Then I wanted
to incorporate it into a kmail message so that most mail clients would
display it inline.

What is the best way to accomplish that?  Just save and attach?  Copy and
paste the code into the editor?  But the latter wouldn't work for images.  Is
there any way to make this work on the few occasions we need to have tables
and images?

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.