List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: [Kde-pim] palm hotsync
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-15 23:47:19

[Moving to kdepim-users, since that's the right list.]

Hi Jg,

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jg Schreiber wrote:
> I just tried a hotsync between palm xe3 and Kpilot4.3.10 It did not
> work. I could not find settings for setting which com-port is to be
> used. I have a hotsync-cable without button, but it works under Win by
> pressing hotsync icon on the palmdisplay

So it _is_ a serial cable? Not a USB one? SUpposing that you have windows
running on the same machine, you should know whether the Palm attaches to
COM1 or COM2. The trouble is mapping the port to the device name Linux (?
... you know, it's a good idea to mention what operating system you're
running) uses. For that, I haven't a clue. It's probably something like
/dev/ttyS0.

If you're a sensible BSD-user, then:

	dmesg | grep ^sio

will tell you which ports the kernel recognizes. Based on the address, you
know whether it's COM1: (3f8) or COM2 (2f8). Devices /dev/cuaa0 (sio0) and
/dev/cuaa1 (sio1) can be used to communicate with them.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE