List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Kdm background
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <trader2001 () bigpond ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-04-26 15:47:53

On Friday 27 April 2001 00:03, Hamish Greig wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I am hoping that someone has a solution for my problem. When i
> installed KDE-2.1.1 (from redhat rpms) i was already using helix gdm
> as my display manager/login. I liked the new functionality of the
> 2.1.1 kdm so i unstalled gdm and now use kdm. My only problem is that
> either using Control Centre or manually (with editor) i cannot get a
> background with my login screen, all i get is the black and white
> cross-hatching (like from the XFree86 - configure tool). I have
> re-installed kde-base with the replacefiles option incase my using
> gdm had left something in the system but that has not helped. also
> manually checking the file that Control Centre writes
> to(/etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc) i can see the changes being entered but not
> being used( i can even delete this file and kdm still starts fine). i
> think it is probably a permission problem as i have found the file
> kdm is reading from and can change all manner of options except for
> the background colour or pixmap. I am not sure if the problem is from
> RedHat or my use of gdm or an xserver permission issue and was hoping
> someone had any clue as my searches in archives have raised nothing
> useful( some mention but no method posted even though it is marked as
> fixed).

Hi Hamish,
You need to run kdmdesktop for background
This is actually quite common. Mandrake (and RH I believe as well as
prob others) have purposefully disabled kdmdesktop in their initialise
scripts and instead use xsetroot to set the bg color of the kdm/xdm
login. This was because there were initially some problems with
kdmdesktop but I imagine they have been rectified by now. So basically
what I'm saying is that its not working *most likely* because its not
referenced anywhere.
     So check your scripts in etc/X11/xdm to see if its been disabled.
If it has re-enable it. If it does not appear anywhere then just add it
to an appropriate startup script (in Mandrake/RH it is in the Xsetup_0
script but I would imagine you could put it in Xsession or something
similiar.
It is only an app to draw a coloured or wallpapered window and is
referenced for the Bash shell for instance in mandrake like:
(NOTE: this is the currently enabled one with the xsetroot stuff now
disabled instead with comments (#)) and remember to change the paths
etc. to your locations

[ -z "$KDEDIR" ] && KDEDIR=/usr
if [ -x $KDEDIR/bin/kdmdesktop ];then
     /usr/bin/kdmdesktop
# Commented above line and added next line because of kdedesktop issues
# fixes background.
#      /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid "#666699"
else
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid "#666699"
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify
-verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail   #this is all one line
fi

--
Regards,

Andrew