List:       kde-user
Subject:    Kdm background
From:       Hamish Greig <hggreig () ozemail ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-04-26 13:59:37

Hi all,
	I am hoping that someone has a solution for my problem. When i installed
KDE-2.1.1 (from redhat rpms) i was already using helix gdm as my display
manager/login. I liked the new functionality of the 2.1.1 kdm so i unstalled
gdm and now use kdm. My only problem is that either using Control Centre or
manually (with editor) i cannot get a background with my login screen, all i
get is the black and white cross-hatching (like from the XFree86 - configure
tool). I have re-installed kde-base with the replacefiles option incase my
using gdm had left something in the system but that has not helped. also
manually checking the file that Control Centre writes to(/etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc)
i can see the changes being entered but not being used( i can even delete
this file and kdm still starts fine). i think it is probably a permission
problem as i have found the file kdm is reading from and can change all
manner of options except for the background colour or pixmap.
I am not sure if the problem is from RedHat or my use of gdm or an xserver
permission issue and was hoping someone had any clue as my searches in
archives have raised nothing useful( some mention but no method posted even
though it is marked as fixed).