List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Kdm background
From:       Hamish Greig <hggreig () ozemail ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-04-27 10:27:46

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:47, akar 'th 'orrible wrote:
>      So check your scripts in etc/X11/xdm to see if its been disabled.
> If it has re-enable it. If it does not appear anywhere then just add it
> to an appropriate startup script (in Mandrake/RH it is in the Xsetup_0
> script but I would imagine you could put it in Xsession or something
> similiar.
> It is only an app to draw a coloured or wallpapered window and is
> referenced for the Bash shell for instance in mandrake like:
> (NOTE: this is the currently enabled one with the xsetroot stuff now
> disabled instead with comments (#)) and remember to change the paths
> etc. to your locations

HMMM
i have this as Xsetup_0
++++++++++++
#!/bin/sh
# Xsetup for Red Hat Linux
# Copyright (c) 1999, 2000 Red Hat, Inc.

pidof -s kdm > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 -a -x /usr/bin/kdmdesktop ]; then
  /usr/bin/kdmdesktop
else
  /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid "#363047"
fi

# only set the background if the xsri program is installed
if [ -x /usr/bin/xsri ]; then
   /usr/bin/xsri  -geometry +5+5 -avoid 300x250 -keep-aspect \
	/usr/share/pixmaps/redhat/redhat-transparent.png
fi
+++++++++++++++
that looks ok to me? i dont know what the [$? -eq 0 a -x /usr/bin/kdmdesktop]
means ( because i only pretend to be a geek for the chicks, man ) but i do
know that changing the colour of the xsetroot option or even changing the
option to -bitmap <filename> does not do diddley squat. I do have the xsri
package installed but can't get the default RedHat shadowman either. In same
dir /etc/X11/xdm in Xsession there is also a line xsetroot -solid "#colour"
but changing that makes no difference either.
should i be able to run kdmdesktop or xsetroot from an xterm?
if yes then nothing happens as either root or user,
is there a config file that i should be editing? Is there a chance that i
have just plain missed something crucial? Does anyone else have it working ?
Now that all the other features work so well i don't mind the lack of
background it's just frustrating to be missing out on some of the features.