List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: netscape integration in kde
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-05-12 20:19:30

Moritz Schulte wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Johan Ferner wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> Hi!
>
> > How do I integrate netscape with kde? There are a bunch of neat icons in
> > the Templates directory, WWWurl for example.
> > They contain the text:
> [...]
> > So this isn't a text/html document, it's an KDE config file.
> > How do I tell KDE to execute my litte netscape wrapper program when I
> > click on the WWWurl icon?

Well, don't use the special 'Link' kdelnk file, use a regular 'Application'
kdelnk file, and put the command to open the url in the "Exec" line of that
file.  For example, instead of:

    URL=http://www.address.com/
    Icon=www.xpm
    Type=Link
    Name=World Wide Web URL

use

    Name=World Wide Web URL
    Type=Application
    Exec=mynetsapewrapper http://www.address.com/

where your netscapewrapper could do something like

        netscape -remote "openURL ($1, new-window)" || netscape "$1"

which I have not tested but Should Work.

> > I tried setting netscape as the default app for text/html, but that
> > didn't work (didn't expect it to either...).
> >
> This is AFAIK not possible. KFM is automatically the application for
> HTML-files. But, perhaps this has been changed in KDE 1.1.1.

You can choose any registered application for html by right-clicking on the
html file.  I do not think you can make another app the default one, though.

Regards,

Andreas Pour
pour@mieterra.com